Best 22LR Scope for Target Shooting
Choosing the best 22LR scope for target shooting can be a time-consuming task. There is a possibility that you may make the wrong choice if you cannot choose a scope based on features and some other special qualities.
You don’t have to worry since this article is made for you if you are having a hard time choosing the right scope.
In this post, we have tested and hand-picked the 7 best scopes for target shooting that can improve your hunting experience.
Read on as we compare the 7 best products on the market so you can find the best option.
What are the best 22LR scopes for target shooting?
We have carefully selected the top 7 best 22LR scopesfor target shooting with a quick summary of each of the product’s features. Carefully check the products to select the one that best suits your needs.
Best Overall – Athlon Argos BTR Riflescope
Robust build quality, solid construction, weatherproof
Best for durability and sturdiness – Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire Riflescope
Extremely lightweight, powerful parallax, matte finish.
Best for high functionality – Simmons Truplex Riflescope
Fully-coated optics, Truplex reticle, waterproof
Best for ease of use – Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Riflescope
Great eye relief, fully multi-coated lenses, fast-focus eyepieces
Best for affordability – TASCO MAG39X32D Rimfire Series 3-9x 32mm
Excellent magnification, versatile, waterproof construction
Best for performance – Simmons 3-9x32mm .22 Riflescope
Optical glass lenses, weatherproof, smooth zoom operation
Best for user-friendliness – Bushnell 1-6x24mm AR Optics Riflescope
Clear optics, easy magnification, 30-year warranty
Best 22LR scopes for target shooting – Comparison Chart
The table below gives you a summary of the important information you need in this review. It includes weight, dimension and colour.
|Best 22LR scopes for target shooting||Best for what?||Weight||Dimension||Colour|
|1. Athlon Argos BTR Riflescope||Best Overall||15.87 Ounces||17 x 5 x 4 inches||Black|
|2. Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire Riflescope||Best for durability and sturdiness||1.1 pounds||14 x 3 x 2.75 inches||Black|
|3. Simmons Truplex Riflescope||Best for high functionality||0.63 pounds||1 x 1 x 1 inches||Black|
|4. Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Riflescope||Best for ease of use||1.5 pounds||14 x 3 x 3 inches||Black|
|5. TASCO MAG39X32D Rimfire Series 3-9x 32mm||Best for affordability||0.71 pounds||14.1 x 3.5 inches||Black|
|6. Simmons 3-9x32mm .22 Riflescope||Best for performance||9.6 Ounces||15.25 x 3.25 x 3 inches||Matte black|
|7. Bushnell 1-6x24mm AR Optics Riflescope||Best for user-friendliness||1.18 Pounds||1 x 1 x 1 inches||Black|
Top 7 22LR Scopes for Target Shooting
- Athlon Argos BTR Riflescope
Capture your target with the utmost clarity with the Athlon Argos BTR scope. This is a feature-rich riflescope that can deliver in any condition.
Some of these features are what you see in high-end scopes. It stands out from the crowd with an exceptional magnification which makes it extremely versatile in different shooting situations.
The equipment also features advanced fully-multi coated optics that helps to deliver a sharp and clear image even in low-light environments.
When it comes to construction, the Athlon Argos BTR range of scopes is built strong to withstand extreme weather conditions.
The exclusive XPL coating helps to prevent grease, dirt and tough weather. It has an aircraft-grade aluminium tube that protects the optics to withstand abuse no matter how it is used.
All in all, it is durable and sturdy.
Its APMR FFL Nil reticle is designed for maximum performance especially when you want to undertake long and mid-range shooting.
You can easily lock in your target with the illuminated centre cross and 0.5 mil hash mark. The lenses are crystal clear with great visibility.
The magnification is very versatile at 6x – 24x. It doesn’t matter if you are going hunting, target shooting or taking part in long-range shooting. The magnification will get the job done.
For the parallax, you will find it easy to use. Its adjustment knob is magical. It turns smoothly and accurately too. The turrets have a spongy feel and moves with the utmost ease.
- Robust build quality – The Athlon Argos BTR is strongly built to resist harsh weather conditions. It is built with 6061 T6 aircraft-grade aluminium for durability and sturdiness. It is shockproof, waterproof and fogproof.
- Fully multi-coated optics – The advanced, fully multi-coated optics helps to reduce reflected light and also improves the transmission of light which helps to give you a brighter image. This sets it apart from the single-coated lenses.
- XPL coating – The XPL coating provides extra protection for the lenses. This helps it to resist oil, dirt and scratches which could affect the exterior lenses.
- Versatile magnification for a variety of shooting environments
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Smooth operation
- Easy to adjust parallax using a knob
- The eye relief is short
- Loss of clarity when magnification is increased
- Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire Riflescope
The VX-Freedom Riflescope is the perfect scope for target shooting, hunting and nighttime hunting. It is durable and designed for shockproof performance.
This scope can withstand abuse and the fact that it is waterproof and fogproof puts your mind at rest.
In addition, the VX-Freedom is extremely light and highly dependable. This means the tool can stand rigorous and extreme use for a long time.
The equipment has a lens coating system known as the Twilight Light Management System. This feature helps to transmit the maximum amount of light especially when you find yourself in a low-light situation. It means you can view anything in its full colour no matter the environment.
When it comes to the build quality, the VX-Freedom Riflescope is well-built to last. It is made of 6061-T6 aluminium for strength and durability.
It is extremely light to the extent that you won’t notice you are having anything on your rifle. The scope weighs less than one pound. The equipment can withstand any type of weather.
There is no compromise on the zoom. It has a default 3x zooming with up to 9x cranking. The scope has an objective lens of 40mm. The lenses are scratch-resistant and block up to 80% glares.
To cap it all, the VX-Freedom Riflescope has an MOA reticle that makes it super easy for you to measure objects that are in focus. The reticle is well marked in the vertical bottom and horizontally on both sides. It is made in the USA.
- Powerful parallax – The parallax is adjusted for 60 yards. This makes it perfect for shooters and hunters who are using rimfire cartridges.
- Matte finish – The equipment has a matte finish that makes it durable and resistant to scratch. This makes it very attractive and also resistant to the elements.
- Excellent performance – The VX-Freedom Riflescope VX-Freedom Rifles performs so well due to its Twilight Light Management System. This feature balances the light transmission by providing bright and clear colours. It also reduces glare.
- Waterproof, fogproof and shockproof
- Scratch-resistant lenses
- Solid build quality
- Reduces glare up to 80%
- Able to withstand extreme use
- The parallax is fixed
- No lens cap
- Simmons Truplex Riflescope
Whether it is for long or short shooting, the Simmons Truplex Riflescope offers an excellent magnification range which is between 3x and 9x.
This optics scope is fully coated and offers high-quality performance with brighter and higher-contrast images. It can be adjusted effortlessly making it the ideal scope for beginners.
Mounting the .22LR scope is a breeze as it takes just a few minutes to get it mounted. The best part is that the riflescope is budget-friendly and delivers outstanding performance all the time.
When it comes to light transmission, the scope does well in low-light conditions and can go as far as 75 yards. You are sure to have a good view with the lens since it has a 40 mm objective diameter. This guarantees a wide view.
The 8-point scope is solidly constructed from aircraft-grade aluminium. It is well coated with rubber armour to resist scratch, bumps and drops.
The Simmons Truplex Riflescope makes use of the fast-focus eyepiece system which easily focuses the reticle for target acquisition of any object.
- Truplex riflescope – The equipment has a Truplex reticle. This means it has a cross that touches the left, right, top and bottom of the lens. The feature perfectly pinpoints your target.
- Fully-coated optics – The lens of the scope is well coated to enhance the brightness and contrast of the object. This helps to provide a clear and crisp picture.
- TrueZero advantage – This is a great concern for many firearm users. The scope can hold zero even after continuous recoil back and forth. It has a mechanism that holds zero even during heavy recoil.
- Waterproof and shockproof performance
- Solidly constructed to withstand the elements
- Easy elevation adjustments
- Compact and lightweight
- Exceptional clarity and image contrast
- No parallax adjustment
- Mounting rings are sold separately
- Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Riflescope
The Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Riflescope is one of the reliable scopes in the Crossfire series.
Some of its excellent features include capped turrets, eye-relief, fast-focus eyepiece and fully multi-coated lenses.
It is fogproof, waterproof and dustproof. What makes the scope very outstanding is its large eye-relief which is about 24 centimetres.
The long eye-relief alongside an excellent eye box ensures that you can sight an image pretty quickly and lock in your target for a perfect shot.
It has O-ring seals that prevent dust, moisture, and debris from entering the scope.
With the V-Plex reticle, you can cover any range in any hunting applications. The reticle doesn’t visually change in size when you change the magnification. This means it can maintain the same appearance no matter the number of times you magnify it.
You cannot go wrong with the fast-focus eyepiece that allows for easy and quick reticle focusing. This is a great feature for both shooters and hunters.
The zoom range is between 2 and 7. This means you can zoom in on far distant targets without any distortions. You will love the lenses because they are anti-reflective and fully multi-coated to deliver bright and clear views for the user.
When it comes to construction, the scope is made from aircraft-grade aluminium which improves the performance and functionality of the equipment.
The build quality makes it also durable and sturdy enough to withstand the elements. It comes with a lifetime limited warranty.
- Fully multi-coated lenses – The equipment is made with fully multi-coated lenses to give you bright and clear images from up to 50 yards.
- Resettable MOA turrets – The MOA turrets are resettable to give you optimal performance whenever you are in the field. The turrets can be adjusted with the fingers and easily resets to zero. It has a ¼ MOA adjustment graduation.
- Excellent eye-relief – The large eye-relief makes this scope better than the pricey options. With an eye-relief of 24 centimetres, the equipment makes front mounting very easy. It also means you can focus on your target using both eyes.
- Lightweight and rugged construction
- Weatherproof, fog-proof and dustproof
- The fast-focus eyepiece provides an easy reticle focusing
- The V-Plex reticle can handle a variety of hunting applications
- Lenses are anti-reflective and are fully multi-coated for clear and bright views
- It comes with no mounts
- TASCO MAG39X32D Rimfire Series 3-9x 32mm
If you are on a budget and searching for a decent scope for target shooting, the TASCO Rimfire Riflescope is well recommended.
It has a full-sized, one-inch advanced monotube construction for improved brightness and clarity of any image at about 50 yards.
One outstanding thing about this equipment is its ease of use. It won’t pose any challenge to novice shooters and hunters.
Any user can zero in very easily. This is because the adjustment points are located on the top and side of the riflescope. It is also easy to mount.
It is completely waterproof and fogproof. This means that rain can never affect the riflescope. The equipment comes with rings and a 50-yard parallax setting that can fit standard .22 bases.
Talking about the optics, it may not be a high-quality one judging from the price of the tool. But it will get the job done if you are just a casual shooter or hunter.
It has magenta-coated lenses which can reduce glare and reflection to some extent.
If you are concerned about the glass, I can tell you that it is clear and provides you with clean images but there is no guarantee the scope can give you clear images when you find yourself in a low-light environment.
When it comes to magnification, you will understand that this scope is a very versatile one if you are using a .22 rifle. The matte finish makes the scope durable and attractive.
At 3x magnification, the scope is perfect for short to medium-range shooting. It has a 9x magnification if you are going for long-range shooting. It also has ¼ MOA windage and elevation adjustment.
The scope is backed by a lifetime limited warranty.
- Excellent magnification – It has a great magnification of between 3x and 9x. It has 3x for short shooting range and 9x for long-range shooting. It also comes with a 40-millimetre objective lens.
- Magenta coating – The means the scope has got fully coated optics throughout. This will ensure that the images in focus are clear and bright. It also helps in the reduction of glare and reflection.
- Waterproof construction – The scope is not only 100% waterproof, it is also fog-proof and shockproof. It means the equipment can be used in any weather condition.
- Extremely affordable at below $50
- Easy to install or mounted to fit .22 rifle bases
- Multi-coated lens reduce glare
- It offers 3x to 9x magnification
- Looks very attractive with a matte finish
- No parallax adjustment
- Images get blurry when the target is beyond 100 yards
- Simmons 3-9x32mm .22 Riflescope
You cannot go wrong with Simmons wide range of riflescopes. The scopes come very affordably with big-game performance. This is a scope that is specifically designed for .22 magazine rifles.
The Simmons 3-9x32mm .22 Riflescope features a TrueZero adjustment system alongside the Quick Target Acquisition (QTA) for increased performance.
It doesn’t matter if you are a shooter, hunter or recreational user. You will find the scope’s decent price, powerful optics, eye-
relief and matte finish a wonderful deal.
The optical glass lenses have been fully coated to give you bright, clear and sharp images with high contrast.
It comes with a Truplex reticle that is well centred with a medium width. This helps to direct your eye to the object in focus so that you can hit your target accurately.
At any level of magnification, the Truplex reticle ensures that the size is retained making the scope ideal for rimfire hunting. It has 3x and 9x magnifications.
Both the windage and elevation adjustments can be done with your fingertip. You can carry out the adjustments with ¼ MOA clicks. The plastic adjustment knob is well protected with threaded aluminium caps to prevent moisture.
What about the eye-relief? It has a decent 3.75 inches eye relief. This makes it perfect for rimfire shooting. The scope is super easy to mount once your gun has a 3/8” rail. It comes with rimfire rings for a hassle-free installation.
- Optical glass lenses – You are guaranteed bright and clear images with optical glass lenses. It also comes with high contrast level since the lenses are fully coated.
- Weatherproof – The scope has been designed to function in any weather situations. It is not only weatherproof, it is also fog-proof and shockproof.
- Smooth zoom ring – The zoom ring provides you with a secure grip with smooth turns. It also comes with a fast-focus ring situated at the back of the ocular bell which can be adjusted with ease so that the reticle can be focused on the shooter’s eye.
- Easy to mount with a 3/8 inches rail
- Comes with great eye-relief of 3.75 inches
- Waterproof and fogproof
- The HydroShield lens coating is weatherproof
- Inexpensive and highly functional
- You may experience some distortions around the edges of the field of view
- Bushnell 1-6x24mm AR Optics Riflescope
The Bushnell 1-6x24mm riflescope features an illuminated BTR-1 reticle that gives you fast and accurate target acquisition.
It is specifically calibrated for 223 Rem/5.56 ammunition loaded with 55-62 grain bullets.
The exterior part of the lens has coating bonds to effectively repel water, fog, debris, dust and oil. This makes it extremely resistant to the elements.
It is constructed from aluminium to withstand the abuse that may arise from constant use. The rugged construction makes it waterproof and shockproof.
The riflescope delivers incredible clarity and durability. There are multi-layers of reflective coating all-around the air-to-glass surfaces to provide you with clear and bright images with high contrast.
You will love the fingertip adjustable turrets. They are aggressively textured for ease of use. This helps to give you a nice and smooth grip anytime you grab the turrets. Once you sight in, you can easily zero it out.
It can withstand any wear and tear. The package comes with a spare battery and the scope has a 30-year warranty.
- Clear optics – The scope is crystal clear even if you have a long-range target. You can hit targets that are between 500 and 600 yards. It also has a sufficient 3.6 inches of eye relief. The reticle is excellent and the brightness is great in low-light situations.
- Easy magnification – The equipment features a throw-down power change lever that helps you to switch between different magnifications. It changes magnification almost instantly.
- User-friendly – The scope is extremely user-friendly and the movement is also finger-friendly. It has click values of 0.1 mil and the movement is super smooth. With the zero setting, beginners can use the scope without stress.
- Waterproof and shockproof construction
- Bright and clear optics
- Quick focus and zoom using the handle
- Turrets can be zeroed with ease
- Lightweight and durable
- No parallax adjustment
- It comes with no mounts
Buyer’s guide – Factors to consider before purchasing the best 22LR scope for target shooting
Choosing a riflescope is not like picking a book of the shelf. There are many factors that you must consider before purchasing one. Following this guide will help you to invest in the right scope. Here are some of the considerations:
- Purpose of the scope – What is your purpose for getting a scope? This is an important question that should be able to answer.
If you intend to be hunting animals like deer, then, you will need a scope with a magnification of 3x to 9x.
The 3x magnification is perfect for hitting targets at close range while 9x magnification is ideal for targets at long range.
Don’t choose a scope with 20x magnification because your target will become smaller and fuzzy as you zoom in. If you want to choose a riflescope for rimfire rifles, go for one with low magnification.
- Lens and lens size – Any lens that is below 32mm will affect the quality of the image you view while a lens that is more than 42mm will be too large for a .22LR rifle.
Also, lookout for a scope that transmits sufficient light from the lens to the eyes of the user. This means you can get bright and clear visuals all the time.
The lens coating is another critical consideration. It helps to reduce reflection and glare.
- Adjustable parallax – To hit very difficult small targets, you will need a scope with adjustable parallax. This helps you to easily tweak your accuracy depending on how long or short the range is.
It also gives you a clearer picture of your target. Most riflescopes come with a parallax adjustment knob.
- Eye relief – Not too many people consider this as an important factor when choosing a scope. But this is as critical as anything. Eye relief is the distance between your eye and scope’s eyepiece.
Always go for a riflescope that has an eye-relief of up 3 inches or more. This helps you to avoid face injury during rifle recoils.
- Turrets adjustment – Riflescopes come with windage and elevation turrets that help you to precisely aim at your target.
You can use the elevation turrets to adjust the reticle vertically while the windage turrets are for the adjustment of the reticle horizontally.
A clear focus on your target can be gotten simply by adjusting these turrets.
- Main tube – Most scopes either have 30mm or a one-inch tube. The more expensive ones have a three-quarter-inch tube.
There is just a slight difference between these two but the same size of lens can fit into any of the two tube sizes. The only difference is that the 30mm tube is heavier than that of the one-inch.
- MOA – The most common measuring system with the most scopes is the Minute of Angle (MOA). It comes with the advantage of precise zeroing.
There are fewer adjustments with precise zeroing and it helps you to focus on your target accurately. The method is quite ideal for beginners and experts alike.
- BDC – The Bullet Drop Compensation (BDC) has become a lot more popular because of its accuracy when it comes to shooting from different target ranges.
Riflescopes that come with a BDC reticle allow you to easily get far-sighted targets without any adjustments to the reticle itself. It is a bit flexible when compared to the duplex reticle.
- Budget – For most shooters and hunters, budget is a critical consideration when choosing a scope. If that is the case for you, then it is advised that you go for a functional and durable scope that is within your budget.
You will find a lot of affordable options. Some of them are below $50 with excellent performance and functionality.
- Warranty – Don’t overlook the importance of a warranty when purchasing any gadget or device. Most people don’t pay attention to this part.
A warranty covers you in case you bought an item that becomes faulty and damaged due to no fault of yours. You can return the item if it is still within the warranty period.
The same thing applies when you are choosing a scope. Select a scope with a long period of warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What does 3-9×40 mean when choosing a riflescope?
Answer: The 3 means 3x power. It means the image appears 3x closer than it does with the naked eyes.
The 9 also means 9x power meaning the image is 9x closer than it appears with the naked eye.
The 40 stands for the objective lens diameter which is measured in millimetres.
- What determines the light transmission in my riflescope?
Answer: Three things determine the light transmission in a scope.
- Glasses used in making the lenses
- The usage of the anti-reflective lens coating
- And the effective use of the lenses in the riflescope
- What kind of battery does a riflescope use?
Answer: A riflescope uses CR2032 Lithium
- What is the best way to keep the lenses of my scope clean?
Answer: If your riflescope is properly taken care of, there is a guarantee you are going to use it for a lifetime.
You have to observe sufficient precaution when cleaning the scope. Use air blast or soft brush to remove dry dust and dirt.
Use mild soap solution or a cotton swab to clean fingerprints and lubricants. Always use the lens cover when the scope is not in use.
There is no shortcut to finding the best 22LR scope for target shooting. You just have to properly do your due diligence which involves doing some research and reading reviews online.
That being said, you can do everything in the book and still end up choosing the wrong product. This is why you should trust our recommendations.
We recommend the Athlon Argos BTR Riflescope for its high-quality performance in all weather conditions. The images are clear and bright. It is also durable and sturdy.
Another option is the Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire Riflescope. This is a great alternative. It is rugged and can withstand abuse.
The scope is weatherproof and can transmit the right amount of light, especially in low-light situations. Any of these options will be suitable for you.