Best Truck Gun Safe
Most gun owners don’t have any issues getting a full-sized gun safe to keep their firearms safe at home. Some even have gun safes on their nightstand.
However, most of them take their guns along with them when travelling or driving to a nearby shop or bar. They are always in transit without a gun safe. This can pose a lot of danger.
This is why it is recommended you have a gun safe in your truck or car. It prevents theft and protects your gun from scratches and scrapes.
Choosing the best truck gun safe can be extremely difficult since there are many options on the market. But you don’t have to worry. We have got you covered.
We have selected some of the best truck gun safes you can find on the market after more than 72 hours of research and testing.
All the options are selected based on build quality, sturdiness and functionality.
Read on to see all our carefully selected best truck gun safes so you can make an informed choice.
What are the best truck gun safes?
We have carefully selected the top 7 best truck gun safes with a quick summary of each of the product’s features. Carefully check the products to select the one that best suits your needs.
Best Overall – VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Pistol Safe
Solid construction, anti-theft protection, mobile app
Best for high performance – GunVault Portable Safe MV550
Top security, quick access, low battery indicator
Best for fingerprint access – SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock
Biometric lock, pry-resistant door, heavy-duty construction
Best for versatility – SAFEGO Portable Indoor/Outdoor Lock Box Safe
Quick access, heavy-duty, weather-resistant
Best for extra security – SentrySafe PP1K Portable Gun Safe
Carry handle, easy to program, well-padded interior
Best for locking mechanism – Bulldog Cases Car Safe with Key Lock
Programmable keypad, strong locking mechanism, well-lit interior
Best for portability – First Alert 5100K Portable Handgun Safe
Extremely portable, tough construction, backup key
Best truck gun safe – Comparison Chart
The table below gives you a summary of the important information you need in this review. It includes weight, dimension and locking mechanism.
|Best truck gun safe||Best for what?||Weight||Locking mechanism||Dimension|
|VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Pistol Safe||Best Overall||3.2 Kilograms||Biometric, key||11.5 X 9.0 X 2.75 inches|
|GunVault Portable Safe MV550||Best for high performance||1 Kilogram||Keypad, key||8.75 x 12 x 3.56 inches|
|SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock||Best for fingerprint access||11.9 Pounds||Biometric||9.9 x 12.1 x 3.2 inches|
|SAFEGO Portable Indoor/Outdoor Lock Box Safe||Best for versatility||1 pounds||Combination, key||9 x 5 x 2 inches|
|SentrySafe PP1K Portable Gun Safe||Best for extra security||7.5 pounds||Key||10.1 x 11.3 x 3.4 inches|
|Bulldog Cases Car Safe with Key Lock||Best for locking mechanism||5 pound||Key||11.3 x 6.9 x 2.2 inches|
|First Alert 5100K Portable Handgun Safe||Best for portability||3.95 Pounds||Keypad, key||1 x 9 x 7 inches|
Top 7 Truck Gun Safes
- VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Pistol Safe
If you are looking for the best truck gun safe for your vehicle, the VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Safe is highly recommended.
It is one of the smartest safes you can find anywhere on the market. There are different ways of opening the safe so you can gain quick access to your valuables with the utmost ease. This includes a backup key, fingerprint and backlit keypad.
It comes with a quick high-resolution sensor that is capable of storing up to 20 fingerprints.
The safe makes use of the smart safe technology which works with the Vaultek Bluetooth app. The app is able to interact well with your smartphone for a smooth operation.
With the app, you will be able to do many things such as checking battery status, unlocking the safe remotely, adjusting the brightness of the interior lights and many more.
When it comes to the design of the safe, it is interesting to note that the safe goes well with the interior of any vehicle. It has an alluring black colour that cannot be overlooked.
The construction of the safe is rugged. It is made from heavy-duty 14-gauge carbon steel and powder-coated for durability and sturdiness.
The inside of the safe looks extremely attractive with responsive LED lighting that takes care of low-light environments. You can use the backlit keypad to locate the safe and view the stored items using the interior LED light.
The Vaultek VT20i uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery with up to four months of performance before the next recharge. It charges using the micro-USB charging kit. It charges fully in 2 hours and 30 minutes.
The package includes a rechargeable battery, security cable, charging kit, backup keys, mounting kit and user manual. It is backed by a 3-year warranty.
- Anti-theft protection – The Vaultek V20i has upgraded anti-theft protection that features anti-pry bars, interior security brackets and 2-point anti-impact latches to prevent break-ins.
- Tough and rugged construction – The safe is constructed with durability and sturdiness in mind. It is constructed with heavy-duty 14-gauge carbon steel with a powder-coated finish to withstand corrosion.
- Smart safe technology – The smart safe technology makes the operation of the safe pretty smooth with your smartphone. It comes with a Bluetooth app so you can easily unlock the safe, adjust the brightness of the interior LED light and view the battery status.
- Easy and quick set up
- High-resolution sensor stores up to 20 fingerprints
- Highly responsive LED lighting
- Compact design to securely hold one handgun
- Grants you quick access in different ways including backup keys
- Anti-pry bars to prevent break-ins by thieves
- 3 years warranty
- It takes two and half hours for a full charge
- The fingerprint is not 100% reliable
- A bit pricey
- GunVault Portable Safe MV550
The MV550 portable safe by GunVault grants you quick access to your firearm whether at home or in the vehicle. It is able to secure your handgun perfectly without any compromise.
The safe comes with the No-Eyes Keypad and electronic lock to provide quick access to your gun. The electronic lock can be personalized with 3 to 6 digits. There are also backup keys to let you gain entry to the safe in an emergency.
It is built with enhanced security and safety in mind. The reinforced steel lip, anti-pry tabs and security sleep mode are all geared towards preventing unauthorized opening and theft of your firearm. It has backlit buttons that illuminate green at every entry.
The build quality is outstanding. It is constructed with heavy gauge steel construction. Some of the other features include low battery warning, mutable audio tone and tamper detection.
You will like the padded interior that prevents the gun from scratches and scrapes. It includes a security cable that makes it easy to attach the safe anywhere in your vehicle.
The safe comes with an unbeatable 5-year warranty.
- Rugged construction – The safe is designed to last for many years of usage. It is made with heavy-duty steel for increased protection. It is durable and sturdy enough to withstand abuse.
- Foolproof security – It is built with advanced security to withstand prying and break-ins by criminals. It is almost impossible to pry open the safe with hand tools and the built-in computer blocks access after repeated invalid keypad entries by an unauthorized person.
- Quick access – To gain quick access, the No-Eyes keypad is conveniently located to enhance its ease of use. In case of emergency, you can also use the backup keys to access your firearm.
- Compact and lightweight design
- Quick and easy access to your handgun
- Well-padded interior to prevent scratches and rattling
- Tamper protection and low battery warning
- Includes backup keys for manual opening
- Robust security to prevent theft
- 5-year warranty
- A bit heavy
- The battery needs to be changed frequently
- SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock
If you are looking for a sophisticated handgun safe for your home or vehicle, the SentrySafe QAP1BE with biometric lock is highly recommended.
There are three ways to open the safe. If the biometric option fails, you can use the backup key or the keypad method to gain access to your gun.
It is difficult to pry the safe open. This helps to increase the chances of keeping your firearm safe and secure.
The safe is built with a gas strut that quietly and automatically opens the safe. It is super quick to access which proves its usefulness during an emergency.
When it comes to construction, the unit is made with steel to guarantee durability and sturdiness. The pry-resistant door helps to increase the safe’s security.
The interior of the safe is well lined with foam to prevent your handgun from scratches, scrapes or damage. For maximum security, it is recommended that the safe is bolted down with the two hardware bolts that come with the safe.
It makes use of four AA batteries. Batteries are not included in the package.
- Heavy-duty steel construction – The safe is tough and strong. It is constructed with 12-gauge steel to guarantee longevity and durability. It securely keeps your handgun safe all the time.
- Biometric lock – Your fingerprint can easily be programmed to grant you quick access to the safe. You can also use the combination code to access it if the biometric method fails. Key access is the third method to access the safe.
- Pry-resistant door – With the pry-resistant door, your mind is at rest knowing that your firearm is well secured. The security is increased with the steel construction of the safe.
- Pre-drilled for easy installation
- Reliable biometric system
- Portable and lightweight
- Robust construction with steel
- Well-padded interior
- Grants you quick and quiet access to your gun
- Extremely versatile
- No cable is included for mounting
- Short battery life
- SAFEGO Portable Indoor/Outdoor Lock Box Safe
Keep your valuables safe and secure when you are in transit with the SAFEGO lockbox safe. The safe can be used to keep items like a handgun, jewellery, passport, cash, credit cards, wallet, cameras and many more.
The safe can be used virtually anywhere like at home, hotel room, restaurant, closets, cars, etc. You can open it either with a key or a 3-digit custom combination.
It comes in a very compact design in case you want to carry it along. You would think the safe is a lunch box due to its stylish design.
Made with high-impact ABS plastics, the safe is resistant to water, salt and sand. It is strong enough to withstand the elements when it is used outdoor.
The heavy-duty, 17-inch adjustable cable will help you to securely lock the safe virtually on any fixed object. This helps the safe to stay in place.
The safe is available in six different colours like gold, blue, green, white, black, and pink.
- Weather-resistant – The SAFEGO box safe is designed to withstand the elements when it is used outdoor. It is also resistant to water, sand and salt.
- Easy access – You can gain access to the safe using the key or through the 3-digit code combination. The combination can be changed at will.
- Strong construction – Though, the safe is not made of steel, the ABS plastic construction is able to withstand impact and stay strong for many years.
- Easy and safe to use
- Extremely light and easy to carry around
- Extremely versatile
- Easy access with a key or a 3-digit combination.
- Plenty of room to store different items
- Available in six colours
- Well built and inexpensive
- Not made of steel
- The combination may fail at some point
- SentrySafe PP1K Portable Gun Safe
You can avoid being the next victim of theft with the SentrySafe PP1K portable gun safe. This is a compact safe that can fit under your vehicle whether it is a car, truck or SUV. If you are budget-conscious, this is the best truck gun safe for you.
The safe is spacious enough to contain more than just a gun. It can also be used to store other valuables like cash, passport, jewellery, etc.
It comes with a battery indicator that changes colour when the batteries are getting drained.
Made from 18-gauge steel, you are sure of the build quality of the safe. It is extremely durable and sturdy enough to withstand impact at any time.
It has a reliable fingerprint lock mechanism to keep thieves at bay and also opens very quickly anytime you want to access your valuables. In case the fingerprint scan fails, you can make use of the key or combination code to gain entry.
You will love the carry handle. It makes it easy to carry the safe along with you wherever you go. There is a tethering cable that allows you to attach the safe to any fixed objects for increased security especially when you are travelling.
The inside of the safe is well padded to prevent your stored items from being scratched or damaged. For ease of installation, the safe can be bolted down with two bolts.
- Strong construction – Built with 18-gauge steel, the safe is strong and durable. It also has a pry-resistant door and hinges that make it difficult for unauthorized users to gain access to your valuables.
- Functional locking mechanism – The locking mechanism is highly functional. It helps to keep your valuables safe by keeping thieves out. You can make use of the backup key to gain access anytime the fingerprint fails.
- Spacious – The safe is spacious enough to contain two handguns and other valuables such as a camera, passport, jewellery, wallet and more.
- Comes with a convenient carry handle
- Access can be gained through key code or backup key
- Well foamed interior to prevent scratches to valuables
- Easy to program
- Compact and light
- Durable and sturdy
- Very secure and safe to use
- It uses four AA batteries. The batteries are not included in the package
- Batteries can get drained pretty fast
- Fingerprint failure occurs most times
- Bulldog Cases Car Safe with Key Lock
The Bulldog Cases Car Safe secures your handgun perfectly in your vehicle or home. This safe is made for outdoor use because of its build construction. It is constructed from 16-gauge steel to withstand the weather and enhance the security of your firearm.
The interior of the safe is well-padded with foam to prevent your handgun from scratches or damage. It has a well-lit interior that provides great visibility especially when you are in a low-light environment.
You would like the audio feedback mechanism that you get when you are punching the keys. This function can also be disabled so you can operate the unit in silent mode.
It comes with the No-Eyes keypad that grants you quick access to your firearm.
The Bulldog car safe has a strong locking mechanism that deters thieves and denies unauthorized access to your handgun. The keypad can easily be programmed with millions of combination codes.
The safe is battery-powered and has an override key that comes to your rescue during an emergency. It includes a 3-feet security cable to secure the safe without the use of the bracket or bolts.
- Sturdy construction – The Bulldog safe is well built to last. It is constructed from 16-gauge steel to provide extended security for your handgun.
- Foam padded interior – The interior is well lined with foam to avoid the scratching of your firearm. It also prevents any kind of damage to your handgun which may be caused by dent or rust.
- Programmable keypad – The safe comes with a high-security keypad that is super easy to program. It can also shut down automatically with the help of the built-in computer to deter unauthorized users after some failed attempts.
- Light and portable
- Easy to operate
- There is an override key
- Grants you quick access with the No-Eyes keypad
- The interior is lined with foam to prevent firearm scratching or damage
- Comes with a mounting bracket
- Reliable safe with high performance
- It is not waterproof
- It can be opened with another key that has the same shape as the original
- A bit heavy
- First Alert 5100K Portable Handgun Safe
The First Alert 5100K is extremely portable. It can be attached under the vehicle seat. It weighs less than three pounds and fits into your bag. Its case-like design makes it difficult for anyone to recognize it. It comes with a key lock to stop any form of break-ins.
The heavy-duty 18-gauge steel construction increases the safe’s security. It is also powder-coated for lasting durability. The safe is well padded with foam to prevent damage to the handgun and comes with a steel cable that securely attaches the safe to the trunk of a vehicle. It can also be bolted down.
You can open the safe using the combination keys. It also has two backup keys to help open the safe if there is an emergency.
It depends on batteries to function optimally and in case the batteries die, you can use the key to open it.
- Heavy-duty steel construction – The safe is extremely sturdy. It is constructed with 18-gauge steel to withstand abuse and improve the security of your handgun.
- Unparallel portability – This is one of the most portable safes you can find anywhere on the market. Its pint size makes it ideal for attachment under the vehicle’s seat.
- Foam-padded interior – You don’t have to worry about your firearm being damaged or scratched. This is because the safe has a well-padded interior to prevent dents to your handgun.
- Extremely portable
- Affordably priced
- Rugged and tough construction
- Makes use of key lock
- Fully padded interior
- Comes with a security cable for added security
- Great value for money
- The inner shelf is made of plastic
- Thin interior foam
Best Truck Gun Safe – Buying Guide
After reading about the review above, you may have an idea of the kind of truck gun safe that could meet your needs. But before you make a choice, there are some factors you must consider.
Here are some of the considerations you must have at the back of your mind:
1. Locking system – Gun safes generally come with locking mechanisms such as biometric, keypad dial and keys. You will have to choose a locking system that suits you.
Most people like the key locking system because of its ease. When the fingerprint method fails, you can resort to the key or keypad option. The key opening system also requires no battery to function.
The combination code is another easy opening system. But there are times you may forget the combination which will leave you with the option of using the key. Ensure that the safe is easy to access during an emergency.
2. Construction – How the safe is constructed will determine its durability and sturdiness. Most safes are made of carbon steel for increased security. The safe should be made with a minimum of 12-gauge steel. This ensures the safe is thick and strong. Avoid a gun safe made of ABS plastic.
3. Fitment – Will the safe fit your truck or vehicle? This is a question you must consider before choosing the best truck gun safe.
Firstly, you have to choose where you want to attach the safe. Is it under the vehicle’s seat or in the centre of the trunk? You must also consider how much space is left in the trunk. After answering all these questions, then, look at the dimension of the gun safe to ensure it fits the available space.
4. Size – You cannot overlook size when choosing a vehicle gun safe. It must not be too heavy. It has to be light, portable and highly functional. It should be easy to hide away in your vehicle.
5. Extreme temperatures – Many of the smart gun safes used in vehicles are actually designed for home use.
These types of safes are not able to withstand high temperatures in a truck or car. Avoid gun safes with high technology if you are looking for the best truck gun safe. Choose a product that can withstand extreme temperatures.
6. Warranty – The warranty of the product you want to purchase is as important as the product itself. Ensure that the safe comes with some form of warranty.
The warranty should be at least one year. Product warranties put your mind at rest in case something goes wrong with the unit. With the warranty, you can return the item if any damage is done to it as far as it is within the warranty period.
7. Budget – Cost is one important consideration before purchasing a truck gun safe. Most gun safes with biometric functions are a bit expensive. If you want something simple, you can go for a key-opening safe. Go for a product that is within your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I attach a vehicle gun safe?
Answer: There are different places where you can attach a gun safe to your vehicle. You can have it placed in the trunk, under the seat or the centre of the console.
- What lock is recommended for a vehicle safe?
Answer: You can go for a biometric lock if you are considering quick access.
- Which is better between cable mounting and bolt down mounting?
Answer: I would like to discuss these two factors so you can understand the difference between the two. This will help you to choose the mounting option that you like:
- Cable mounting – The cable-mounted safe can be taken anywhere with you. You can remove it easily and attach it somewhere else.
- Bolt-down mounting – This is a fixed type of gun safe mounting. It cannot be moved or removed. Thieves cannot steal it or pry it open. It is safer than cable mounting.
- Should I choose a gun safe made of steel gauge or ABS plastic?
Answer: If you want a handgun safe with high security, it is recommended you go for one that is made of steel gauge. They are sturdy and more durable than the ones made of ABS plastic.
- Can a truck gun safe contend with the high temperature?
Answer: Many gun safes are designed to handle high temperatures especially during summer. However, high temperatures can affect battery life.
The Bulldog Cases Car Safe with Key Lock is able to withstand high temperatures.
We have made a list of the 7 best truck gun safes. As a gun owner, it is important to have a gun safe for your vehicle. After reading the review of each of the products and the buying guide, we hope you can now make a good choice.
However, if you are finding it difficult to make a choice you can rely on our expert recommendations.
We recommend the VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Pistol Safe for its high functionality. It is a smart gun safe that can take up to 20 fingerprints in case you would want more people to gain access to your firearm. It comes with a Bluetooth app that enhances the operation of the safe. It is also strong and tough.
The second recommendation is the GunVault Portable Safe MV550. It is made from a heavy-duty steel gauge for durability and sturdiness. With the electronic lock, you can create a combination of codes to gain access to the safe. It also comes with a backup key in case of emergency.
If you follow our recommendations, your mind can be at peace knowing that you have made a long-lasting choice worth your investment.